It’s beyond cold outside and all I can think about is being warm. My mindset is to make and eat anything that is hot. In the mornings I’m making Bob’s Mighty tasty Gluten-Free Hot Cereal (and it gives a nice fiber punch!) with tea, and you bet I’m eating soup or stews for lunch and dinner. Last night after a great run I made a hearty split pea soup, which warmed me up nicely after my body started to cool down from the run.
I decided to make this since I had leftover ham steaks that were on sale. This dish won’t be ready in an instant as the split peas require some cooking time.
- 1 lb green split peas (rinsed)
- 2 T oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 onions diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 3 large carrots diced
- 2 ham steaks (or a ham bone if you have one)
- 8 cups water (you may need more depending on the amount of veggies you include)
- 1 Herb-ox gluten free chicken bouillon cube (optional)
- Pepper to taste
- In large pot heat oil and saute garlic and onions until translucent
- Add in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil
- Once boiling reduce heat, cover and simmer stirring occasionally
- Cook for about 2 hours